Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Looking Shabby Chic Or A Jumbled Mess

Hello Friends, Followers and Viewers,
I've been searching for a concrete definition for "shabby chic card making" but cannot find one. I can find a lot of examples on how a shabby chic card should look but not a definition for one.  Not all of the cards I've seen follow the same look.  When it comes to furniture, shabby chic is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their appearance of age and signs of wear and tear or where new items are distressed to achieve the appearance of an antique. At the same time, a soft, opulent, yet cottage-style decor, often with an affected feel is emphasized to differentiate it from genuine period decor.  
The rise of shabby chic in the last few years, not only in card making but in all sorts of home crafts, has been great and only continues to grow. I think that it is so popular because it has a warm, handmade and homely feel to it and it is also very feminine. 
Take a look at my cards and tell me if you think they fall in the category of being "shabby chic" or cards with too much stuff on them (please be honest):
2 Corinthians 2:15
cardstock: white, purple and craft
pattern paper: DCWV
Die: Quickutz Antique Doily and Spellbinders Romantic Vines
Embellishment: Martha Stewart faux pearls and Offray ribbon
Technique: distressed edges

We Love
cardstock: white and craft
pattern paper:  DCWV Modern Meadows
Die: Quickutz Antique Doily and Spellbinders Romantic Vines
Punch: Martha Stewart branch
Embellishment: Prima Flowers and faux bling

Thanks for viewing with me today.
Am I showing Shabby Chic or a Jumbled Mess?

Sending you a hug and LOVE,
Lois

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lois,

As usual, your cards are beautiful! Now, I'm not a fan of shabby chic, but I know what you mean! I remember when ALL of the scrapbook paper was in the shabby chic phase with flowers and etc., and the same for home decor. I've grown a bit so I can appreciate some shabby chic home decor (still working on the paper though)! Your cards are always so inspirational with their message!

Unknown said...

Hi Lois yet again you have produced two wonderful cards. i tried to make a card shabby chic but mine just looked a messy so i gave it up as a bad job so i stick to what i like. I love to read your blog as it's so heart warming.

Hugs Debs xxx
{Debs Cards}

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful cards - nice diecuts and layout thanks for sharing!!!