Tuesday, April 25, 2017

"Using Distress Oxide Inks On Black Cardstock"

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Hello viewers, followers, visitors and friends.  Good Tuesday morning to you.  What's on your agenda for today?  If it is still raining in your neighborhood and you can't go outside to play, why not stay in and craft away.  That's what I'm planning on doing.

I was encouraged, back in early March, to purchase the Distress Oxide inks by my crafting sister who said, "they will work well with dark cardstock".  So I made a purchase.  I used some of them for a project on Tuesday, March 21, 2017, http://lilartsywoman.blogspot.com/2017/03/stenciling-distress-oxide.html.  This was when I used white cardstock and a stencil for my project.  That one turned out rather well.  I received many compliments here on this blog, Google+, scrapbook.com and Card-Making USA.

Today, I wanted to experiment with using the Distress Oxide inks with black cardstock and a stamp. 
Let me just say, I've torn up some cardstock that looked distressing to me (very unsatisfied with the results). 
The first card you see here (not the ones that went in the trash) was done this way:
  • I cut a piece of black cardstock for the base 4.25 x 5.5
  • I used a stamp from Penny Black's "petal party", Versa Mark ink and clear embossing powder to put an image (2) on the black cardstock
  • I used I colored the top flower with worn lipstick distress oxide and the bottom flower with wilted violet distress oxide.  Both flower stems were colored with cracked pistachio distress oxide
  • I sprayed some water down on a mat and mixed the left over worn lipstick with the water and splatter it over the card.  Some ended up on the flowers.
  • After drying, I added three gems around the sentiment that had been stamp on black cardstock using jillibean soup "handwritten sentiments "and layered with green cardstock and a pink ribbon bow.
  • The card you are looking at came out much better than the first one I did, but it is still doesn't present a WOW factor for me...the reason is, the ink went on in that pinkish color but when it dried, all I'm getting is the oxide effect or the chalky look which is a muted white and not the pretty vibrant color.  You really can't tell that I used worn lipstick and wilted violet.
  • This doesn't impress me at all.  Maybe it does for you.
worn lipstick oxide for the top flower did not come out vibrant at all neither did the wilted violet at the bottom

The second card you see here (thinking it would come out better) was done this way:
  • The black cardstock was cut 4.25 x 5.5
  • The stamp from Penny Black's "petal party" was used with the worn lipstick, wilted violet and cracked pistachio (outline effect)
  • I mixed some cracked pistachio with water and splattered it on the card.  This time I didn't let any of this mixture get on the flowers.
  • After drying, I added the sentiment (jillibean soup "handwritten sentiments) which was stamped on black cardstock and layered on some pink polka dotted cardstock.
  • Three gems were added around the card as well as a green bow made from Offray ribbon.
  • This one looks 5% better than the first one. 
  • I like the oxide inks much better on white cardstock than dark cardstock.
you can see a little more color of the worn lipstick and the wilted violet used for stamping

I even tried another color of dark cardstock to see if it would make a difference.  The only thing I can really say is, you can see a image but not unless you like that chalky look for your image on dark cardstock, then stay clear of using it.  On lighter cardstock, the distress oxide are beautiful.  (That's just my opinion).

here I used the Distress Oxide inks to stamp some flowers on a piece of Bazzill cardstock
I wanted to see if using a different darker color of cardstock would make a difference in the oxide color.  It is still chalky looking and not vibrant.  It is better on this purple than on the black cardstock.


I'm just showing and sharing my honest opinion about Oxide inks on black cardstock.  I 'm also keeping in the back of my mind that the processing of the material I received my not be 100% correct compared to what Tim Holtz was using.  Maybe this could be the reason my colors were not vibrant.
As always, "at first, if you don't succeed, try, try and keep trying until you master it".  I will try again.

Sending you a hug and LOVE,
Lois


No comments: